Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ng House

The Queensland National Bank was formed in Brisbane in 1872, and was taken over by the National Bank of Australasia in 1948. It had quite a strong branch network, including a branch at South Brisbane, originally situated on the corner of Russell and Stanley Streets, pictured here around the year 1890.

(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #2823)

In 1896, the branch was moved to the corner of Stanley and Ernest Streets, to a building originally built for Allen and Stark, the Queensland drapery store. That building is shown below in a photo from 1900.

(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #7945)

Finally the bank built its own building, designed by Addison and McDonald, on the corner of Melbourne and Grey Streets, and it was opened in 1928. The photo below is from around that time.

(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #201357)

The South Brisbane branch of the bank was closed in 1978, but the building remains. No longer the business or shopping precinct it once was, the area is now a cultural precinct with Queensland Performing Arts Centre, the State Library and the Museum of Queensland in close proximity.
(Photo: © 2009 the foto fanatic)

The building is now called Ng House, and is owned by the principal of a chartered accounting firm.

Click here for a Google Map.

tff

Next: The Duke goes to the races

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...