That wonderful early Brisbane combination of Mr FDG Stanley, who was the Colonial Architect, and John Petrie, builder, were again at work in the construction of the Port Office in Edward St. This building was erected in 1879-80, complete with wharves and slipway, and is pictured here in 1884, looking up Edward St towards the CBD, and then in 1889 looking in the other direction, towards the river.(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #API-004-0001-0010)
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #100099)
In 1988, the building was incorporated into the development of the five-star Heritage Hotel. Thankfully, by that time Brisbane was over its former destructive form of development where our wonderful colonial buildings were reduced to rubble to accommodate glass and concrete towers. On this occasion, the building was actually restored to its original 1880 glory. In fact, the end balconies, which were part of Stanley's original plans but never included in the initial construction, were added at this time.
(Photos: © 2009 the foto fanatic)
The Heritage Hotel is now the Stamford Plaza, still at the upper end of the hospitality scale, and well worth a visit for a look around and a cool glass of your favourite beverage.
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: Centenary project