Diagonally across the George and Elizabeth St intersection from Queens Park is one of the oldest hotel sites in Brisbane. The first hotel generally thought to have been built on the site was the Dunmore Arms, built by Robert Cribb in 1865. In fact, it may have been built as a replacement for an earlier hotel destroyed by fire. This is what the Dunmore Arms looked like then.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #153755)
Once one of nine hotels in George St (now there are only two functioning hotels), the property passed to James Hunter, who engaged the near-ubiquitous Richard Gailey for a new design which was constructed in 1888. Here is a drawing from 1889 of the completed premises, renamed the Treasury Hotel.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #2900)
In 1997, the building was refurbished as the Treasury Tavern; now it is an Irish Murphy pub. But having a look at its current silhouette, it at least passes resemblance to its former Richard Gailey being.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: Australia Day, 1974