Completing our trilogy of posts about the Brisbane School of Arts, we now look at where the School of Arts moved to in 1878, after leaving the property that it had sold to the Queensland National Bank. The new premises were in Ann St, in a building then known as the Brisbane Servants Home, which was built in 1866 to house and train "young women of good character to work as servants." A former patron of this home was Lady Diamantina Bowen, wife of Queensland's first Governor. The home had closed in 1870, and it was purchased by the School of Arts in 1873 for £1,000. Below is a drawing of how it looked then.
(Photo: Courtesy Brisbane City Council; BCC-B54-A582)
The School of Arts let the building until they were ready to move into it in 1878. By then, Richard Gailey had renovated the building to make it suitable for them, including the addition of some verandahs. A picture from around 1900 shows the improvements.(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #17027)
The building was later modified again to include a technical college as well as some shops to provide an income - this necessitated the removal of some of Gailey's verandahs. Here it is pictured in 1937.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #78179)
Ownership of the building passed to the Brisbane City Council in 1966, who, in 1983, commenced restoration work. In 1985, the School of Arts was reopened and is currently used by community groups. A recent photograph is shown below - see how closely it once again resembles its earlier Richard Gailey form.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: A normal school