Still in the seaside town of Southport, today we are looking at a structure that is more symbolic of the area. It is a bathing pavilion, built so that visitors to the beach could change from their confining clothing into a swimming costume, known variously as a cossie, bathers, or togs, depending on where you are from. Here is the Southport Bathing Pavilion, pictured in 1935.
(Photo: GCCC Library; Image #LS-LSP-CD086-IMG0055)
The pavilion was built in 1934 on the shore at the Broadwater at Southport. Designed by Hall & Phillips in a Spanish Mission style, the pavilion has some distinctive features: a decorative gabled entrance with three arches and some unusual "barley sugar" pillars. The pavilion has been maintained over the years and is now heritage listed. Here it is today, sheltered under a magnificent Moreton Bay fig tree.
(Photos: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
Next to the entrance there is a plaque from the National Trust of Queensland that highlights the importance of the building - click the photo to see a larger image.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
No longer used as a bathing pavilion, it is now a storage area for the council's gardeners, but it's good to see that its original style has been retained for our benefit.
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: Billy carts