In 1859, for the judicious sum of £35, Mr Justice Alfred Lutwyche, newly appointed judge of Queensland's Supreme Court, bought 35 acres of prime land on Kedron Brook to Brisbane's near north. He engaged John Petrie and Christopher Potter to build his home on the property. The exterior is sandstone from the Albion quarry and the interior was fitted out by master craftsman Andrew Hamilton. Here it is in an early photo, from around 1914.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #69663)
The next photo was taken around the year 1937, and shows the rear of the house.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #69664)
Despite his somewhat contentious professional demeanor, the judge was a convivial man, in fact described as an "acknowledged gourmet and bon-vivant". He loved to fish in Kedron Brook, which flowed through his property, and frequently supplied the fish for his dinner parties. He was also very fond of horse-racing, although apparently not as successful as he may have hoped. The following photo shows Lutwyche casting an eye over a horse on his property, this from around 1871.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #126568)
After the judge's death, the property was sub-divided and is now a gentrified residential area. The fabulous house still stands, either in Kalinga or Wooloowin (depending on whose map you are reading), adjoining inner-Brisbane suburbs. (Photo: © 1982 National Trust of Queensland)
It was owned by the Catholic church for a long time, but now is evidently once again in the hands of private owners. Lucky them! This is the way it looks now - click for a larger image.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: His church