Brisbane architects Hall & Phillips designed City Hall, and they also were also the architects for Shell House further up Ann St. City Hall opened in 1930 and Shell House was completed in 1932, so the pair were obviously pretty busy around that time. The following photograph shows the building, sandwiched between the Masonic Temple on the left and St Andrew's Uniting Church on the right, during construction.(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library)
Here is a photograph of a completed Shell House that was taken in 1933.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #68769)
Shell Australia Limited have vacated the premises, and it is now a four-star, 60 apartment hotel. The hotel's web site proclaims "terrazzo floors, sweeping marble and wrought iron stairway, ... sleek geometric lines, stained glass, ornate plaster and balconies carved in stone", so it all sounds very luxurious. Here is a recent picture of it.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
The building, now called Rothbury on Ann, is right across the road from Central Station and two streets away from the GPO, making it a very convenient location.
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: More Gailey designed than the rest