In the early years of the twentieth century, it was necessary for Catholic priests to travel from Brisbane down to Wynnum on Moreton Bay to conduct mass for the local congregation. There was no church there at the time, so mass was celebrated in the Wynnum Town Hall. In 1904, Archbishop Dunne, on one of his visits to Wynnum, came across a piece of land suitable for a church. He bought it for £420 as a gift for the Catholic parishioners of Wynnum. Richard Gailey was engaged to design the church, and it was opened in 1905 after construction by Mr J Little. The photo below shows the church in 1910.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #35004)
The first parish priest was Father Enright, who was responsible for then constructing a school next to the little church. Richard Gailey was recalled to design that, too. The church and the school are still catering for Wynnum's Catholic community, and below is a picture of the church today.(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
The church is on the other side of Bay Terrace to Mount Carmel Convent, which was designed by Hall & Dods and built a few years later.
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: Teneriffe Festival