Here is a photograph of Cleveland's Grand View Hotel, which proclaims itself to be Queensland's oldest licenced hotel. "No 1 since 1851", says the sign on the bottle shop to the right of the main hotel building.(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)
In its early days, Cleveland operated as a port, handling wool from the Darling Downs. In fact, a Mr Francis Bigge, who was a member of the NSW parliament in the days before separation, lobbied for it to become the principal port of the Moreton Bay settlement. As part of this plan, he had a brick hotel constructed in the early 1850s to cater for the development of the area. Unfortunately the hotel was so spectacularly unsuccessful (that must have been unusual - a Queensland hotel that failed!) that it became known as Bigge's Folly, although he had chosen to name it Cleveland House. It was such a failure that it was closed until 1855 when it was leased to John Cassim, who operated it as Cassim's Family Hotel and Boarding House through to 1860. Cassim moved on, and in 1862 the property was acquired by William Rae who renamed it the Brighton Hotel. By this time the local population had grown, and there were also visitors from Brisbane. Apparently the Brighton had a bathing house, and a jetty at which was moored its own boat for the pleasure of guests. During this time, it also operated as the local church until St Paul's Anglican was built in 1874. In 1878, the hotel came under the control of the Goodall family, who renamed it the Grand View Hotel around 1910, and retained ownership until 1936. Here is a photograph of the Grand View from the year 1930.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #36418)
Click here for a Google Map.
Next: More about Cassim