Friday, September 17, 2010

Toowong Cemetery

This small park is situated near the city end of the William Jolly Bridge, between Eagle Terrace and Skew St. It was the site of Brisbane's first cemetery.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)

The First Brisbane Burial Ground was the final resting place of almost all who died in the Brisbane settlement between 1825 and 1843 when it was closed. When the site was no longer considered suitable, burials took place at the North Brisbane Burial Grounds at Paddington, on the site where Lang Park Suncorp Stadium now stands. (Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #21561)

As Brisbane grew, the location around Paddington filled with houses, and health concerns put an end to this cemetery. The next cemetery is one that is still in use, Brisbane General Cemetery. It is now more commonly known as Toowong Cemetery - it is situated right on the big roundabout on Milton Rd at Toowong. The photo below shows the entry gates and fence that were designed by FDG Stanley.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
(Photo: © 2006 Noel Hall)

It is interesting to see the different memorials, ranging from simple to spectacular, spread out over this large area. On a hill in the centre of the cemetery is a large monument to former Queensland governor Samuel Blackall. His was actually the first burial in the cemetery, back in 1871. His monument is the tall one on the left at the rear of the photo below, and the other tall monument nearby is in remembrance of Sir Charles Lilley, prominent barrister and politician who also became premier of the state for a time.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)

The rather opulent memorial headstone below is that of notorious land-owner and city council alderman Patrick Mayne.
(Photo: © 2010 the foto fanatic)

The Brisbane City Council recently announced the commencement date of the Northern Link project, which will see tunnels dug from the Western Freeway to the Inner City Bypass, passing under the cemetery. Concern over the possible damage to grave sites has caused the engineers to decide to double the depth of the tunnel to 17 metres as it passes beneath the cemetery.

Click here for a Google Map.

tff

Next:
Normanby invasion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...