We have previously looked at purpose-built suburban fire stations, the majority of which were constructed from timber, and there are a few of them remaining at Wynnum, Morningside, Coorparoo, Yeronga and Nundah. There is only one older suburban station made of brick still standing in its original form, and it is this one at Albion. (Photo: © 2011 the foto fanatic)
The brick construction and the impressive dimensions of this building indicate that it was designed to be a regional station for the northern suburbs. It replaced an earlier fire station at Windsor and another at Hamilton. The foundation stone of the building was laid on 1 December 1925 and the completed station was opened on 17 January 1927. The foundation stone can be seen under the ground floor window on the left. The first line reads "Ready Aye Ready", the brigade's motto, and the rest of the tablet records the date and the names of the dignitaries attending. The name of the station is still present in the central bay of the building at the top, although the fire station was decommissioned in 1961.
The building was probably quite popular with the officers stationed there. As well as space on the ground floor for two appliances with requisite firefighting equipment, there was also space for a dormitory, a mess room, a kitchen, a room with private facilities for the district officer, and a billiard room large enough for a full-size table. The upper floor contained two flats for officers and their families.
The following photograph shows the fire station nearing completion, where some wag has placed only part of the name of the station on the facade, spelling "on fire".
(Photo: "Brisbane Ablaze"; K Calthorpe & KD Capell)
Here is the view from the station, looking past the Albion Flour Mill to the city. The building is now leased to commercial tenants.
(Photo source: unknown)
Click here for a Google Map.