The house gave its name to the hill upon which it was constructed and then to the suburb that grew around it once Gibbon's land was subdivided. The suburb has metamorphosed through farming, commercial and residential phases since then. It even lost its identity for a while, as the powers that be in place-name head office decided that it would cease being a suburb. The name Teneriffe stuck around as a locality (a locality is what they call it when the residents refuse to stop using the name of a defunct suburb!) for a while until, as a result of community pressure, it was reinstated to its former exalted status. This allows those of us who live here to have a party every year to commemorate the Ascension of Teneriffe.
Gibbon's house was sold to businessman Robert Wilson in 1882, and sub-division of the extensive surrounding land occurred around this time. Wilson also undertook some renovations, including the addition of another wing and a billiard room.
(Photo: © DSEWPaC; 1996)
Further alterations took place later, including the resumption of a tract of the property's former orchard by the Brisbane City Council, who then turned it into leafy Teneriffe Park. The park still borders the house, and it's a lovely cool walk through there down to the river. The house was converted into flats in the late 60s, and still is in that form today.
(Photo: © 2011 the foto fanatic)
Click here for a Google Map.