Earlier in this series we saw Ye Olde Courthouse Restaurant at Cleveland, which was originally built in 1853 or thereabouts by Francis Bigge as a residence for his Cleveland work force. It later served as the local police station, lockup and court house through until around 1880. By that time a new purpose-built police station and court house had been built in a different location - an area at the end of Passage St that became the government precinct, and later included the railway station that was erected nearby.
Government buildings often outlive their use-by date, and by the mid-1930s there were rumblings that the police station and court house were showing their age. Here is a photograph of that building that was taken in 1932.
The government architect's office drew up plans for a new building with expanded space, but reusing the cells, stables and earth closets (toilets) from the older structure. The building was completed around 1935 at a cost of £1500, and was typical of suburban and country police stations of the time. Although there were later additions and modifications, that building survives in its original location, and here it is.
The police moved out of the building in 1998. The building is now the headquarters of the Redlands RSL which has a modern club facility across the road.
Click here for a Google Map.