By 1885 the original stone house was needing repair, so architect GHM Addison was consulted by the then owner Alfred Jones who was the local manager of Gordon and Gotch, newspaper and magazine distributors. The result was a new brick residence with an ornate porch. After Jones died, his sons leased the property to the Australian Defence Forces for the duration of WWI for use as a hospital. During the war the Department of Home Affairs constructed several new buildings in the grounds of the property as additional hospital wards. Here is a photograph of the hospital complex from around 1918. It was formally acquired by the government in 1926.
(Photo: Australian War Memorial; H02257)
And the next image shows nurses tending to patients in one of those wards. Many of the buildings used verandahs in this way.
(Photo: Australian War Memorial; H02258)
Rosemount continued in service as a military hospital right through WWII, but during the 1950s Greenslopes Hospital on the other side of Brisbane was selected to be the main repatriation hospital. Some of the unused land between Rosemount and the river was sold to the Brisbane City Council and is now used as parkland.
Rosemount then became attached to the Royal Brisbane Hospital and provided geriatric and psychiatric support to its Herston site. During the 1990s this use ceased, and the building fell into disrepair. In 2005 the site was leased to a charitable organisation that provides support for the terminally ill. It is now known as Karuna.
Here is the Addison-designed Rosemount building today, and the ornate entrance porch can be seen at the right of the building.
(Photo: © 2012 the foto fanatic)
Click here for a Google Map.