The building was originally constructed around 1885 as the residence of John William Forth, who was tragically killed on the day of his house-warming party. It was a single storey house then, but during an extensive renovation an additional storey was added by the next owner Herbert Hunter. The architect at that time was GHM Addison. Hunter was a wealthy grazier who loved horse racing, and the tower on the second storey addition enabled him to view the races at nearby Eagle Farm. At the time, Stanley Hall was surrounded by more than 12 acres of land, including an orchard. Here is a photograph of Stanley Hall taken during the residence of its next owner, EG Blume.
Edward Blume was a pastoralist with many sheep stations throughout Queensland and New South Wales. He was a racing enthusiast too, and won the 1911 Caulfield Cup with his horse Lady Medallist. Lady Medallist was trained by Brisbane's John Noud, the father of well-known race caller Keith Noud. Blume was also a Brisbane socialite and he entertained the Prince of Wales at Stanley Hall during his visit in 1920. Blume sub-divided the property and sold off most of the land during the early 1920s, and in 1926 he sold the house and remaining land to the Presentation Sisters for £22,000. The following image of Stanley Hall appeared in The Queenslander in 1930 as part of its "Brisbane's Historic Homes" series.
Stanley Hall is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register, where it is noted that much of the internal timber and iron fittings have been retained. The final image is from 1994.
Click here for a Google Map.