Following the last post, we are staying in Woolloongabba and looking at some of the nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings that remain in the area.
This one stands in Stanley St next to the Clarence Corner Hotel. It is thought that the building was constructed around 1903 for the then owners of the hotel, John Brett Charlton, a successful Brisbane stockbroker, and his wife Winnifred Mary.
(Photo: © 2012 the foto fanatic)
Known as Shop Row, the group of five attached shops was erected a little later than its neighbours, which are of 1860s vintage. Apparently there were earlier small businesses operating here, but this was the first building constructed after the land subdivision that allowed such structures.
As with other buildings in this location, Shop Row's fortunes have fluctuated since its construction. The area was quite a busy precinct through to the 1960s, after which many of the buildings fell into disrepair, but recent activity has brought back a little life.
Click here for a Google Map.