The house was built on a hilltop in 1887 for the manager of the Queensland National Bank, Mr Henry Wallis Glenny. Some suggest that the home may have been designed by architect FDG Stanley, who won several commissions for the bank including its landmark building in the city. Here is an early photograph of the area taken from nearby Eildon Hill, and the house (originally called Monte Video) can be seen on the right side of the picture.
(Photo: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #APE-047-01-0018)
After Glenny retired, the house was acquired by the bank and let to various bank officers until it was occupied by the bank's new manager, WV Ralston, in 1896. Ralston purchased the building from the bank in 1918, and it remained in the Ralston family until 1923 when it was purchased by William Bramwell Booth, the son of the founder of the Salvation Army. In 1924, the Salvation Army Mothers Hospital moved from Breakfast Creek to this house, which was then named Boothville. The following photograph shows the building when it was operating as a hospital.
The building reverted to being a family home in the 1990s, and the interior features such as cornicing, ornate plaster ceilings and crafted timber work were retained. At the time renovations were completed the home had 29 rooms including six bedrooms and seven bathrooms, a gym and a home theatre. It changed hands in 2008 for $4.1 million, and is now for sale by tender. If you are interested, tenders close on 2nd March. Here is the current photo from the real estate advertisement.
(Photo: Ray White Paddington; www.brisbanenews.com.au; Feb 2012)
Click here for a Google Map