There is no doubt that standards of living in Brisbane have increased since these cottages were built for William Moody around the year 1870. Yet Mr Moody, who was employed as a "letter carrier" or postman at the GPO was able to purchase the land at Spring Hill and erect three cottages that were probably designed by Richard Gailey upon it. The cottages are constructed of brick rather than the more common timber, and consist of a terraced pair (below, top) and a detached residence (below, bottom).
William Moody was promoted to the position of mail sorter in the 1880s and his properties were retained by his three children through to 1950. Here are earlier photographs of the cottages. The top picture shows the cottage named Cooee on the right - the other attached residence is not named. The bottom photo is of Allandoon, the detached house.
(Photos: © DERM 2008)
In 1988 the house Cooee and its attached neighbour were converted into a residence and studio by the artist Rick Everingham. It is believed that all three buildings are currently private residences.
Click here for a Google Map.